Caldey Island has been known as one of the centres of Cistercian activity since Celtic times and thrived during medieval Europe. However, the current abbey was built in 1910 by Anglican Benedictine monks. The abbey passed to the Trappist order in 1929. As of 2018, there are about 10 members. They are known for their lavender perfume, shortbread and chocolate production.